There are few things as uncomfortable as a yeast infection.
And yet there are fewer things you can get rid of as fast as a yeast infection!
Yeast infections are caused by fungi. With over 20 species of Candida yeast which are responsible for infection in human beings, it is no wonder that yeast infections are a common feature in human ailments.
Candida yeasts live in your intestinal tract and are even present on your skin and your mucous membranes as we speak. As long as they are present in normal numbers you will not experience an infection. The problem arises when they multiply too much.
The symptoms of a yeast infection will vary depending on which area of the body is infected.
- Yeast infection of the mouth
- Yeast Infection of the vagina
- Yeast Infection of the skin
- How to use essential oils for yeast infection?
- 10 essential oils that can help you with yeast Infections
- Essential oil blends for yeast infections
- Things you should consider when using essential oils for yeast infection
Yeast infection of the mouth
Yeast infection of the mouth is also known as thrush. If the environment inside your mouth changes and allows too much fungal growth you will experience a Candida infection in the mouth.
- Redness or soreness in the mouth
- Cottony feeling in the mouth
- Pain while eating
- Cracks at the edges of your mouth
Most at risk
- Patients with compromised immunities
- People who wear dentures
- Patients who take antibiotics or corticosteroids on a regular basis (like asthma patients)
- Patients on medication that causes a dry mouth
Yeast Infection of the vagina
Vaginal yeast infection is also known as candidiasis. It comes about when the PH of the vagina changes encouraging overgrowth of Candida.
- Vaginal itching
- Vaginal soreness
- Pain when urinating
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Pain during intercourse
Most at risk
- Pregnant women
- People using hormonal contraceptive
- Patients with compromised immune systems
- Patients on antibiotics
Yeast Infection of the skin
This type of yeast infection is also known as Cutaneous Candidiasis. It is caused by the exponential growth of the Candida on the skin or nail cuticle but like other yeast infections, it is not contagious.
- Redness of the skin
- Itchy rash on the skin
- A scaly appearance of the skin
- Infection of the hair follicle
Most at risk
- Patients with compromised immune systems
- Babies with nappy rash
- Pregnant women
- Women on high dose contraceptives
- Overweight people
How to use essential oils for yeast infection?
Essential oils that contain anti-inflammatory and antifungal qualities are great for treating yeast infections.
In fact, essential oils are the leading home remedies for curing yeast infections. This is because you can use essential oils for the long term without any side effects and they are also strong enough to work where the infection has grown resistant to fungal drugs.
Tea tree oil:
This powerful oil has strong antifungal and antibacterial properties which will help with treating underlying infections and clearing the excess the fungi.
Mix the tea tree oil with some olive oil on a teaspoon. Apply the mixture to the affected areas thrice a day and it will clear out.
This oil is effective in stimulating the immune system to fight the symptoms caused by Candida. It also has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties which help to alleviate the itching while combating the fungal infection.
Mix the oregano oil into jojoba oil for maximum absorption and apply on the infected area at least three times a day or whenever the itch and inflammation are excessive.
Lavender oil is recommended for areas with folds and that retain moisture because of its mild smell. Apart from that, it is a potent antifungal agent that will clear the infection in no time.
Combine the lavender with jojoba and vitamin E oil and apply to the area. Expose the area to air it after application and after 10 minutes wipe off any excess oil.
Clove oil has been known to battle all kinds of fungal infection effectively decimating 15 different fungi. It is a powerful antifungal agent that will calm the affected area down before clearing the infection in days.
Mix 2-3 drops clove oil into jojoba oil. It is advisable to use jojoba oil because it gets quickly absorbed into the skin and the under the breast area should not be left moist during the treatment. Apply the mixture to the affected area twice or thrice a day until the infection clears.
Essential oils for yeast infection itch
This oil is a powerful antifungal agent but it also has equally strong anti-inflammatory qualities. It works immediately alleviating the itch and reducing the soreness and irritation.
Mix it with coconut oil and slather on the affected area. Let it get absorbed naturally and undisturbed.
Lavender oil works wonders in minutes to alleviate the itching and reduce the soreness and swelling. It also soothes the area and relaxes the affected muscles around the infected area.
Tea tree oil:
To beat the itchiness and inflammation tea tree oil is a great choice because it immediately reduces both irritants. The antifungal properties also kick in immediately and you notice less discharge within a few hours of use.
Rub it directly on the affected areas (dilute it first) or add a few drops of the oil on a tampon and insert in the vagina. Never sleep with the tampon, instead replace it every 3-4 hours with a new treated one after cleaning the vagina.
Cinnamon oil can be drunk in your tea or water. Ingesting the oil allows it to work from within in clearing the infection and restoring the correct balance of Candida in your system. It is a powerful antifungal agent that will clear the infection and leave the area sweet smelling. Always use food grade essential oil when ingesting is involved.
Mix it in coconut oil and apply it to the affected areas of the vagina. Leave it for a few hours or the night and wash off in the morning. Repeat the application again and do this for 3-4 days.
10 essential oils that can help you with yeast Infections
Before using any essential oil you must dilute it in order to prevent any skin irritation. Try it on a small patch of the affected area to ensure it does not react with your skin.
If you are already on other medications for the condition, it is best to seek advice from your physician as to whether to use the oils or not.
Lemongrass oil is well known for its antifungal properties. Apply it topically and it will help with all forms of yeast infections.
For oral thrush, you can apply it on the outside of your mouth and it will get absorbed effectively fighting the infection in the mouth.
- Strong antifungal properties
- Helps speed up the healing process
- Protects you from yeast infections
- Easily absorbable
- It has a strong smell
You must always dilute this oil before use. You can use the herb for cooking which will allow you to enjoy its healing benefits as well.
- Has powerful antioxidants
- Food grade orange oil can be ingested to fight the infection from within
- It will invigorate your sense even it treats the infections
- It must never be used undiluted
This is a versatile oil that can be used for many benefits. It can invigorate your senses, kill insects, clean your home and heal your wounds.
Make it part of your routine to keep infections at bay.
Lavender oil is not only popular for its sweet scent it has a powerful punch when it comes to fighting infections including fungal ones.
It works best for people with sensitive skin since it is mild in nature.
- Has a lovely scent
- Although powerful, it is mild in nature
Yeast infections can be very stressful and uncomfortable. You need a calming and relaxing oil to help you relieve the anxiety produced by the infection.
This oil does that and more.
Clove oil contains eugenol and carvacrol which actively and effectively eliminate the overgrowth of fungal pathogens.
It also has antioxidant properties which help you to heal rapidly and reduce inflammation.
- It is soothing
- Almost purely made of eugenol
- Has antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Helps the healing process along
- It has a pungent smell
Clove is wonderfully powerful and the pungent smell can grow on you with time.
If you are using 100% clove oil that has been steam distilled you can use it internally because it features not chemicals (but always confirm with the manufacturing brand first).
It must always be diluted at all times because it is super strong.
- It helps boost the immune system to fight the infection
- Has powerful antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties
- Reduces the inflammation
- Alleviates pain
- It is toxic so it cannot be ingested
- Has a strong medicinal strength
Tea tree oil is a must-have in the medicine cabinet.
It will treat the yeast infection and at the same time strengthen your immunity, combat joint pain in a massage oil and treat cuts and burns in the kitchen.
It is all in one!
- It has potent anti-inflammatory qualities
- Helps with the healing process
- Highly recommended for oral thrush
- Has antiseptic properties
- It will cause irritation if not properly diluted
The beauty of myrrh oil lies in its mild scent that belies its powerful qualities.
Use it for yeast infections and see a marked difference within hours of initial use.
- It has powerful antioxidant properties
- It has anti-inflammatory qualities
- It leaves you with the cinnamon smell
Cinnamon smells great and the fact that it can help you with such an uncomfortable situation is a huge plus.
Definitely the oil of the kitchen and bathroom!
Geranium oil has earned its place among the fighters of infections and reducers of inflammation.
It works with the same intensity you have come to expect of tea tree and clove oil which are powerful medicinal essential oils.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties
- Heals the affected area rapidly
- Restores the PH balance of the vagina preventing further infection
- Alleviates pain and discomfort
- It has an overpowering scent which can be off-putting to some people
Finding geranium oil is like finding a gem.
It works exceptionally fast and leaves you with a healthy vagina and skin.
- Strong antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties
- Powerful anti-microbial properties
- Reduces swelling rapidly
- It has a potent scent
This fruit has stood the test of time in dealing with the yeast infection.
Used in Ayurvedic medicine it has proven its anti-inflammatory properties as well as its ability to cure the infection thoroughly.
It is a great addition to your yeast combating arsenal.
- Smells wonderful
- Has powerful antioxidant properties
- Some people may not appreciate the lemony scent
This is a versatile oil that one needs in the home at all times.
From fungal infections to cleaning the house, you are in for a treat with this oil.
Essential oil blends for yeast infections
Mix the oils in a spray bottle and spray onto the affected area lightly. Use a cotton ball to dab the mix into place and let it stay in place for at least 4-5 hours before washing it off. Wipe off and leave the area completely dry. Do this twice a day.
Drop the oils in your bath water and stir lightly until the film has covered the entire surface of the water. You can make your bath water shallow for a more concentrated treatment or use the regular amount of water.
Soak in the bath for 30 minutes and dry off. Apply either the tea tree, lavender, or clove oil to the affected area to continue the treatment.
Apple cider is a popular home remedy for yeast infection so you when mixed with the thyme and cinnamon oil you can expect a more powerful blend. Apply to the affected areas or use as a vaginal douche.
Things you should consider when using essential oils for yeast infection
- Always makes sure to dilute the oil before use
- Only ingest food grade essential oils during the treatment process
- Always research the oil you are using and the method of extraction to determine the concentration
- Test the oil on a small patch of skin before use to reduce chances of adverse reaction
- Pregnant women should ask their OB/GYN for advice before using ANY essential oil
- Anyone with a compromised immune system should also ask their physician before using ANY essential oil